Winners of C Flight, from left, Geoffrey Taylor, first; John Shoemate, second; Zack Burling, third
Winners of A Flight, from left, Jonathan Sidell, first; Rodney Schild, second; and CJ Krigbaum, third
HANNIBAL — The Ice Bowl Disc Golf tournament featured comfortable weather with temperatures in the 40s for most of the day. Disc golfers from around the Tri-State area participated in the 17th annual Ice Bowl at the Don Crane Disc Golf Course in Huckleberry Park, sponsored by the Hannibal Parks & Recreation Department and Excitement Disc Golf.
Financial support was also provided by Peters Heating and Air Conditioning and Quincy Disc Golf Club.
The Ice Bowl mission is to increase local awareness of disc golf by raising funds for local and regional charities, with an emphasis on fighting food insecurity. In Hannibal the Ice Bowl donates to the Buddy Pack program, which benefits more than 400 Hannibal public and parochial schoolchildren each week. The program allows children to take home backpacks full of free food each Friday. The goal is to make sure low-income children stay fed, healthy and productive.
Brad Fink, an avid disc golfer from Hannibal, said though the tournament was fun, he especially enjoys supporting the Buddy Pack program. He said, “It’s all about our disc golf community coming together for our community.”
The winners were:
- First: Virginia Polkinghorne of O’Fallon, Mo.
- Second: Angela Rueter of Marion, Ill.
- Third: Debbie Polkinghorne of O’Fallon
- First: Jonathan Sidell of Quincy, Ill.
- Second: Rodney Schild of Quincy
- Third: CJ Krigbaum of Quincy
- First: Brad Fink of Hannibal
- Second: Daniel Soebbing of Quincy
- Third: Gary Polkinghorne of O’Fallon
- First: Geoffrey Taylor of Columbia
- Second: John Shoemate of Fort Madison, Iowa
- Third: Zack Burling of Carthage, Ill.