Admiral Coontz Recreation Center
The Admiral Coontz Recreation Center is located at 301 Warren Barrett Drive, next to Clemens Field in historic downtown Hannibal. The facility was built in 1938-9 as a WPA project. It has 15,000 sq. ft. of concrete floor space, and ceiling height is 20 ft. The facility may be rented for private and public events.
Armory Renovations were finished in late summer 2012!
The facility is open to the public on Monday/Wednesday/Thursday 7:30AM-6PM and Tuesday/Friday 7:30AM-5PM. The Armory is closed to the public on Saturdays and Sundays. Anyone under the age of 12 must be accompanied by an adult (18 years+) - no exceptions.
It is a non-smoking facility during public use hours. This facility, also known as the old armory, houses the following:
- 2 full-size all-purpose basketball courts
- 1 tennis court (singles/doubles marked)
- 3 volleyball courts (1 marked, 2 not)
- 2 shuffleboard courts
- 4 restrooms (men's, women's & handicapped accessible downstairs, unisex upstairs)
- Locker room (HPR not responsible for lost or stolen items)
- Walking track (12 laps = 1 mile)
- Kitchen (sink, 6 burner stove with oven, refrigerator, microwave oven)
- Elevated performance stage
Armory rental prices are $40/hour (except for indoor sport practices), with a minimum of 5 hours. Insurance may be required for certain events. Call 573-221-0154 to learn about other private rental options.
Rentals for indoor sport practices are $20/hour. Insurance may be required for events. Capacity = 1000 people. Call 573-221-1504 for available dates, or check out our new Armory Reservations Calendar to see what openings are currently available.
A portion of the armory is a Missouri Driver Exam Station Location (not affiliated with HPR). The entrance is on the right side of the building (old Pop's Club entrance). Testing is held on Mondays and the 2nd, 4th, & 5th Fridays of the month (8:30AM-12:00PM and 12:30PM-4:00PM). Call 660-299-0698 with any inquiries/questions.